How Entry Level Home Care Works

Posted on November 12, 2018.


If you are living in your home and need a little extra assistance inside or outside the house or to get about in the community, the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) can help. This is a great way to get access to a basic level of support for older people who want to stay living in their own home.

This program is designed to enable you to take control, live and enjoy the independent life you choose!

What Services Are Available?

As an entry level aged care service, CHSP includes a range of aged care services for older people, including short-term and more regular help with tasks such as:

  • Showering and getting dressed
  • Preparing meals and shopping
  • Cleaning and housework
  • Outings and transport

If you are recovering from an illness or an operation, lower level or short-term help at home can be a good way of getting back into the swing of things.

Am I Eligible for CHSP?

Basic eligibility for Australian Government-funded services requires that you are an older person aged 65 or more years old, or 50 years or more for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and you’re having greater difficulty with daily living.

Eligibility starts with a phone call and is confirmed by an in-person assessment, usually conducted in your home, through the Government’s My Aged Care system.

To receive care in the home you will need to apply to be assessed by a Regional Assessment Team who will determine your eligibility and give advice on the services you may require.

What Costs Are Involved?

There is Commonwealth government funding for all aged care programs and the amount of money older people receive for care depends on what services they are accessing.

The good news is CHSP services are subsidised, but providers may ask you to make a small contribution towards your services. This would include items such as continence aids and other simple items for your care.

CHSP services are provided on an hourly basis and, because the program is designed to provide a basic level of support, the choice of services and supports are limited until a person's circumstances change and they are assessed and approved for a greater level of care.

Clients only pay for per hour of service up to $10 per hour and the government pays for the rest.

You don’t need an income assessment to access CHSP and the age pension will not be affected by personal contributions to the cost of services.

We’re here to help so please contact Juniper to confidentially discuss what fees are involved and how we can help.

More Help When You Need It

From 1 July 2018 the Home and Community Care (HACC) program changed to CHSP in WA. This change took in respite services previously delivered under the National Respite for Carers Program (NRCP). Respite services are tailored to older people and their primary carers, when the person you are caring for is being looked after by someone else and you take a well-deserved break.

Subject to an assessment and approvals, this respite can be in the form of:

  • emergency respite;
  • in-home day or overnight respite;
  • community-based respite; or
  • short stays in residential aged care (residential respite care).

Day Therapy Centres

The CHSP system also helps you access centres in the community run by aged care providers (sometimes called Day Therapy Centres or Centre-based Day Care) where you can benefit from inexpensive personalised allied health services.

This includes treatments such as physiotherapy, occupational therapy and podiatry. The centres may also offer group services such computer training, yoga, fitness and health and well-being sessions.

The First Steps

The Government’s My Aged Care Service is a good place to start as they help determine if an income assessment is required, before a package is approved. They will also provide the required forms and step you through the process.

If you are on a pension, there’s no need to fill out the income assessment because the government already has that information.

If you are not on a pension or are or planning to self-fund your care, the government may ask you to complete an assets form and if you do not provide this information in full, the Government may reduce the amount it pays towards your care.

How to Apply for Help at Home

You do not need a referral to contact My Aged Care to start your next steps. Applying for Home Care starts with a telephone conversation with an aged care assessor who will ask questions to help determine the best level of care or assistance for you.

You can contact Juniper on 1300 313 000 during office hours to discuss your needs at any stage or call My Aged Care direct on 1800 200 422.